If an employee makes use of a company vehicle which is leased by the employer, the taxable value of the vehicle must be added to the employee’s remuneration each month.
The value of the fringe benefit is calculated as the actual cost to the employer incurred under that operating lease and the cost of fuel in respect of that vehicle. The fringe benefit value is either 80% or 20% taxable, depending on the proportion of private use:
- If the vehicle is used 80% or more for business purposes, the value of the company car benefit is 20% taxable.
- If the vehicle is used less than 80% for business purposes, the value of the company car benefit is 80% taxable.
SimplePay has a built-in item to accommodate the special tax and reporting requirements related to a company car under an operating lease. This income will be reported under code 3816.
- Go to Employees on the left-hand menu and select the relevant employee.
- Click on Add next to Regular Inputs.
- Select Company Car Under Operating Lease under Benefit.
- Enter the actual cost incurred for the vehicle.
- Select the Taxable Percentage as “80%” or “20%”, based on the employee’s use of the vehicle (this can be determined by the employee’s logbook)
- Click Save.